An introduction to computer audio
Asynchronous USB Class One Audio DACs
These DAC’s are USB Audio class 1 compliant.
They can play 24 bits audio with a 96 kHz sample rate.
All major operating systems (Win, OSX and Linux) do have native mode USB Audio class 1 drivers.
The information below is as supplied by the manufacturer's website.
Arcam Solo rDac £299 / £399 Wireless
Chip: Wolfson Microelectronics 8741
- 1x Optical SPDIF (Toslink socket)
- 1x Coaxial SPDIF (Gold plated socket)
44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176kHz, 192kHz
- 1x USB: Asynchronous USB ( dCS license)
32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
- 1x Wireless (optional, requires dongle) 44.1kHz
Bit depth: 16-bit, 24-bit (except wireless)
- 2x RCA / Phono sockets (Gold plated)
- THD+N: 0.003% - (0dBFS, 1kHz, 22Hz to 22kHz, unweighted)
- Noise: -104dB - (relative to full scale, 22Hz to 22kHz, unweighted)
CD player + DAC, 8200CDQ has a pre-amp: £899.95
- 24Bit/96kHz asynchronous USB, Toslink, SPDIF coax.
- Any PC/Mac media player (iTunes etc.) can be controlled via the Audiolabʼs remote handset
- USB port also allows the player to be upgraded via firmware updates in the future
- Four selectable digital filters enable the user to tailor the sound to his/her own taste
- Ultra-high-quality 32-bit DAC from ESS Technology
- Proprietary, discrete master clock
- Balanced, discrete, Class A output stages
- RCA and XLR out
- Asynchronous USB supporting 24-bit/96kHz with remote control of PC / MAC Media Player via HID support
- High current, high linearity RCA single-ended & XLR true balanced with fully discrete J-FET CROSS* Class A output stages and built-in headphone amplifier
- Selectable DAC mode or Digital Pre-amplifier mode, allowing direct connection to power amplifiers and active speakers in digital only systems
- 2.7” high contrast OLED display
- "Actual"or"Nominal"Sampling Frequency display – displays the TRUE input sampling frequency with 1Hz resolution
- Digital level meters in dB with peak hold
- CD / DVD SPDIF subcode embedded Track and Time Display
- Advanced de-jittered optical and coaxial SPDIF output, with USB to SPDIF output.
- Full remote control + external remote / BUS I/O loop
- 26 internal regulated supply rails with 10 ultra low noise, low impedance discrete regulators
- 7 user selectable digital filters – fully software upgradeable via the USB port
- Organic ultra low ESR capacitors, high tolerance polypropylene film / foil capacitors, ultra stable very low VCR 0.1% MELF SMD resistors, 4 layer PCB
- External upgradeable power supply interface for a future upgrade path
• Drives headphones directly
• Variable output drives powered speakers or a
• Fixed output feeds preamp or AV receiver
• 64-position analog volume control
• Accepts music files up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution
• Asynchronous Class 1 USB data transfer using the
• Direct-coupled circuitry from the ESS Sabre DAC chip through
the analog volume control and output analog driver section
• Dual Master Clocks are used to minimize the amount of jitter
present in the DAC circuitry
dCS Debussy € 9.900,00
- Asynchronous USB interface on a B-type connector, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at
32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kS/s.
- Upgrade to USB audio class 2 possible
- 2x AES/EBU on 3-pin female XLR connectors. Each will accept up to
24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kS/s.
OR as a Dual AES pair at 88.2, 96, 176.4 & 192kS/s.
- 2x SPDIF on 1x RCA Phono and 1x BNC connectors. Each will accept
PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kS/s up to 24 bits.
- Balanced Outputs - 1 stereo pair on 2x 3-pin male XLR connectors
- Unbalanced Outputs - 1 stereo pair on 2x RCA Phono connectors.
The dCS Ring DAC is a discrete balanced design which does not use any
off-the-shelf DAC chips commonly found in other manufacturer's products.
Two filters are provided offering listeners the choice between linear
phase with pre-ringing or non-linear phase without pre-ringing.
The digital volume control allows direct connection to a power amplifier,
so often there is then no need for a preamplifier. Maximum output can
be either two or six volts to suit different amp/speaker combinations.
Halide DAC HD US$ 550
- Power – supplied from USB connection. LC filtered (two pole passive) and down regulated; separate power rails for digital circuitry and master clock.
- Drivers – Plug and Play, using Streamlength™.
- Supported rates – 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz (user selectable), at 24 bit resolution.
- DAC: Wolfson WM8716
- Length – 2 meters standard, other lengths available.
Full Scale output 2.25 Volts RMS
Frequency Response (20 Hz/20 kHz) -0 dB/ -1.4 dB
Noise Floor (DC to 30 kHz) 20 uV RMS
S/N Ratio (DC to 30 kHz) 101 dB
S/N Ratio: (DC to 30 kHz) 82 dB
S/N Ratio: (A-weighted) 86 dB
THD+N (1 kHz FS 44.1 kS/s) 0.008%
USB to Audio output isolation > 20M Ohm
Data Rate up to 96 kS/s - Bit Depth up to 24 bit
Transfer Protocol asynchronous
USB type 1.1 or above
Power Requirements (USB buss) 350 mA
Dimensions 129mm L x 53mm W x 30mm H
A detailed description of the Pro.
24bit 192k upsampling
24 bit / 96 kHz asynchronous USB
All models are using asynchronous USB.
Brick V2 $1750,-
16/44.1 NOS (Non oversampling) DAC (TDA1543N2)
12AU7A/ECC82 output tube
Analog output: RCA
The Crimson and the Cosecant are available with the same TDA1543N2 or a Wolfson DAC.
In the latter case the USB support 24 bits/96 kHz
The Crimson can also be equipped with a 32 bit ESS Sabre DAC.
Now, for the first time ever, Wavelength Audio has developed Asynchronous Mode USB Audio. This means the computer is controlled by the USB DAC. No longer is the tail wagging the dog. Instead, an ultra-low-jitter audio master clock located in the DAC controls the audio transfer rate from the computer. Jitter is reduced by a factor of greater than 100 times! What's more, this is accomplished using the standard USB drivers (Windows or MacIntosh) for easy plug-and-play installation. Now the convenience of computer-based audio is combined with the lowest possible jitter.
- 24/192 coaxial/Toslink
- asynchronous 24/96 USB
- ESS Sabre DAC
- 3.5”x3.5” chassis
Price: US$ 399